Adventures with the Primates of Western Tanzania
Kungwe Beach Lodge, Gombe Forest Lodge, Kigoma Hilltop Hotel
Whether its feeding habits, the use of tools, and behavioral practices, if you’re enthusiastic to learn about the similarities and differences between the chimpanzee communities of Gombe Stream and Mahale Mountains National Park, this is the tour for you.
Travel by dhow boat on the crystal clear waters of Lake Tanganyika, the world’s second deepest lake, to visit with the chimpanzees in one of Tanzania’s most untouched destinations. Japanese researchers have studied an estimated population of about 1000 chimpanzees since the 1960’s. Highlights of this safari include chimpanzee trekking, bird watching, fishing excursions, kayaking, barbeques and sundowners on the beach around a campfire.
With the only lodge in the park, Mbali Mbali allows you to explore one of Tanzania’s smallest national parks. Gombe Stream National Park is a fragile strip of chimpanzee habitat that straddles the steep slopes and river valleys that hem the northern shores of Lake Tanganyika. It’s chimpanzees, habituated to human visitors, were made famous by the pioneering work of Jane Goodall who in the 1960’s founded a behavioral research program that now stands as the longest-running study of its kind in the world.
In Kigoma, learn the legacy of legendary Scottish missionary and explorer, Doctor David Livingstone, on an excursion to the nearby town of Ujiji. It was here that Dr. Livingstone encountered Henry Morton Stanley who allegedly uttered the now famous words, “Dr. Livingstone, I presume?” Visit the German Railway and learn the history of the century-old German Warship, the M.V. Liemba, which now carries passengers and cargo across the world’s longest lake, Lake Tanganyika. Incorporate a cultural experience of the fishing villages to your tour. Add on optional excursions to microfinance initiatives to learn about the work being done to aid local community development in the region.
- Return Shared Charter flights, Arusha – Mahale - Kigoma – Arusha
- Airport transfers and boat transfers throughout, Kigoma – Gombe - Kigoma
- Full board accommodation and meals
- Daily Park entrance fees, Concession fees and Guide fees
- One Chimpanzee trek per day
- One Boat Safari per stay in Mahale
- Birding and forest walks in Gombe and Mahale
- One Ujiji / Livingstone Memorial Tour in Kigoma
- All soft drinks and bottled waters in Gombe and Mahale
- Laundry services in Gombe and Mahale
- Packed Lunch on day of departure from Gombe and Mahale
- All soft drinks and bottled waters in Kigoma
- Laundry services in Kigoma
- Fishing Excursion ($85 per person) in Mahale
- Alcoholic beverages (payable by cash on departure)
- Medical evacuation
- Any and all tips and gratuities for local staff and guides
- All items of a personal nature
*Children under the age of 12 are eligible for discounted rates subject to booking terms and conditions